Criminal injury compensation claims solicitors

Our experienced personal injury claims solicitors have many years experience supporting clients who have suffered physical or psychological injury or trauma as a result of a violent crime.

We understand that you will be going through a tough time and may find it difficult to talk about what you have been through. Our team of specialist lawyers will deal with your claim sensitively and sympathetically to ensure that you receive the maximum compensation with the minimum fuss.

We can help you claim compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). We understand that often it is the psychological impact of what you have been through that is more long lasting than the physical injury.


Compensation secured from CICA for 13 week old shaken baby

Billy*, born in 1994, suffered a significant brain injury and damaged vision when he was shaken...

Read more

Injury claim - Munchausens Disease by proxy

A baby was subjected to repeated invasive unnecessary medical interventions and treatment between...

Read more

53 year old man was assaulted and sustained a severe head injury

A 53 year old managing director was assaulted when he attempted to prevent a theft from a company...

Read more

Assault leading to severe head injury - compensation awarded

A 53 year old managing director was  assaulted when he attempted to prevent a theft...

Read more

What is the CICA?

The CICA is a government organisation set up to help innocent victims of crimes of violence. It runs a compensation scheme for those who have been injured in England, Wales or Scotland.

Can I make a claim?

If you have suffered an injury as a result of a violent crime you may be able to make a claim if you reported the crime the police as soon as reasonably possible and it happened in England, Wales or Scotland.

If you have been injured in an incident abroad then we can advise you of any similar schemes in that country.

How long to do I have to make a claim?

Generally you will have to apply within two years of the date of the injuries or if you are a child at the time of the injuries by your 20th birthday. However, there are some circumstances where exceptions can be made to this general rule so please do contact us so that we can advise you appropriately.

What sort of injury or crime does the scheme cover?

A criminal injury is where you have been subjected to physical or psychological harm. You may have suffered a head or spinal injury as a result of an assault by way of a shooting, stabbing or other means. It covers assaults on both children and adults, sexual abuse, hit and runs and psychological injuries.

How do I make a claim?

Contact us. We will discuss the circumstances of your case with you and fill in the online application for you. We will submit the application to the CICA who will then investigate the matter.

They will contact the police and any witnesses to the incident to confirm how the injuries happened.  They will also get in touch with doctors and hospitals that you attended and obtain evidence to support your claim. They will check that your behaviour at the time of the incident did not contribute to the crime.

Once they have obtained sufficient evidence and are satisfied that you qualify, they will then make an award of compensation. We will advise you on that award offer and if we believe it is too low we will appeal the decision for you and help you obtain the right amount of compensation.

What can I claim for?

This will vary from case to case and will depend on the injuries you have suffered, the medical treatment or rehabilitation that you may require and any losses incurred.

The amount may be made up of the following:

  • An amount for the injury itself whether physical or psychological.
  • Any care that you have received in the past and any that you may need in the future.
  • Any loss of earnings that you have suffered and any that you may suffer in the future.
  • The cost of adaptations that need to be made to your home as a result of your injury.

How much will making a claim cost me?

We have a range of funding arrangements available, all of which will ensure that there is nothing for you to pay if your claim is unsuccessful. Please contact us to discuss the most appropriate arrangement for you.

Why choose Boyes Turner?

We have many years experience of dealing with these sorts of claims. They are different to other types of personal injury claim and it is therefore important that you chose a solicitor that has a lot of experience and understands the process.

We have advised numerous criminal injury victims in claims for compensation and have won substantial awards for many of our clients.  Our successful claims include securing a £3.5m settlement from the CICA for a 19 year old man who suffered a major brain injury as the result of being shaken by his father at 13 weeks old.

Injuries as a result of violent crime

Paralysis as a result of a violent crime

One of the most debilitating and life changing injuries that a victim of violent crime can suffer is a spinal injury.

Spinal injuries occur when the spinal cord is damaged – either when the back is hit with force or wounds are inflicted with a sharp object. Recovery from a serious spinal injury is limited and therefore early rehabilitation is vital for the victim to regain as much of their quality of life as possible. Our specialist CICA solicitors have dedicated experience in making violent crime claims. We understand the consequences that spinal injuries can have upon a victim and work with them to secure the rehabilitation and compensation they need.

If you or a member of your family have suffered paralysis as a result of a violent crime then contact our specialist solicitors for a quick, free, no obligation chat about making a claim. 

Thank you again for everything, I am so happy that I can finally look towards the future and start drawing a line under the accident and putting it in the past where it belongs...I don't think I've felt this happy in ages, it's like a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders just knowing that it's all done.

Miss M, London 

Get in touch

Please get in touch 0800 124 4845

Or we are happy to call you back at a time that suits you

Office open Mon - Fri: 08:30 - 18:00