Community Care

What is Community Care?

Community Care is the term used to describe services provided by public authorities to adults and children to meet their needs arising from their disabilities.

Services they may need could include assistance with care at home, respite care, adaptations to their property, care homes, nursing homes,

Our clients face a wide variety of problems when dealing with public authorities in order to secure the support that they needs. Read on to find out about the type of support that we could offer in dealing with these services.

Common Community Care Issues

There are a number of different issues that could arise in Community Care it is such a broad and diverse specialism. Some of the more common issues that we have assisted with include:

  • Refusals to assess needs
  • Delayed assessments
  • Disputes in respect of care provision offered by the authorities
  • Insufficient care packages
  • Premature withdrawal of support
  • Charges for services
  • Adaptations to the home to meet care needs
  • Direct payments and personal budgets
  • Arbitrary panel decisions

We advise clients, their carers, case managers and professional Deputies in securing services from statutory authorities. We have a wide client base and can assist a variety of individuals with cases including:

Children with Disabilities and their Parents

Caring for a child with disabilities can be hard work without any support in place. Many of our clients are often surprised to know that they may be entitled to help  from their local authority or the NHS; often they have been told that their child “doesn’t meet the criteria” or isn’t “eligible” but this is often not the case.

We can assist parents navigate the complex laws and procedures in order to access a wide range of help that they may need. This can help with both maximising the potential of the child and also ensuring that their parents can continue caring for their child without becoming exhausted, improving their overall quality of life.

The type of case that we specialise in includes:

  • NHS Continuing Healthcare
  • Local Authority Funding
  • Charges for Care
  • Hospital discharge issues
  • Residential Educational placements
  • Social Care Provision in EHCP

Dealing with authorities can be confusing and parents often find it hard to understand the processes involved, often feeling like they have to constantly fight to secure services their child should be entitled to.

We understand how difficult it can be for parents and the importance of being able to understand what is happening. We will provide you with clear advice throughout your case and support you so that you don’t feel that you are being left to fight alone. 

Support can come from either a local authority or NHS, depending on the child’s level of need.

Disabled Adults and their Carers

We help adults with needs for care and support and their carers in obtaining the services they are entitled to from public authorities.

We can assist clients navigate the complex laws and procedures in order for them to access a wide range of services. The type of support they may need could include specialist equipment, care or even a move to a specialist residential facility. 

The types of assistance we can assist clients in obtaining include:

  • NHS Continuing Care
  • Local Authority support
  • Mental Health aftercare
  • Court of Protection Welfare Orders

Dealing with authorities can be confusing and people can find it hard to understand the processes involved, often feeling like they have to constantly fight to secure services they are entitled to. People are also worried about the costs and how this may affect their loved ones.

We understand how difficult it can be and can guide you through every step. We will provide you with clear advice throughout your case. 

Support can come from either a local authority or NHS or both, depending on the adult’s level of need.

Care for the Elderly

Our elderly clients often come to us after years of being overlooked by statutory services leading them to crisis point.

We have considerable experience in providing clear and valuable advice to elderly individuals needing assistance with their community care issues.

The first contact with statutory services can be an intimidating and overwhelming experience for clients and their families, particularly when they have never had any dealings with them before. We can help relieve some of the confusion and anxiety that clients can feel by offering honest, impartial advice about their situation.

Clients that have come to us in the past have had issues including:

  • Being unable to manage at home due to lack of care and support leading to frequent hospital admissions
  • Delay in being discharged from hospital due to lack of co-operation between NHS and local authority when planning for discharge care arrangements
  • Being told that they must move into a care home against their wishes
  • Concerns around charges for care
  • Obtaining support for their carers
  • Best interests decisions for those who have lost capacity to make decisions about their residence and care

We ensure that our vulnerable clients are not overlooked and support them through these difficult issues. We have noticed that communication can be a key factor as clients are simply often not told what is happening so they do not know what to expect. We ensure that our clients are well-informed throughout and obtain the right outcome for them.

We recognise that clients will need to continue working with statutory services long after our involvement so will always do our best to ensure that the working relationship between the client and the services is not compromised. For this reason most cases are resolved, with a favourable outcome for our client, without the need to seek recourse from the Courts.

One of the most common concerns our clients have is whether they will have to pay for their care leaving their loved ones in financial jeopardy. We help our clients ensure that they only pay what the law requires them to pay and not a penny more.

There are occasions where our client’s health conditions are so severe that support from social services will not suffice. In these circumstances funding should come from the NHS but quite often the process of securing such funding is long and complicated. We can help this process, pushing for it to be placed on the “fast-track” where appropriate.

Former Armed Forces Personnel and Veterans

We work closely with veterans and their loved ones to secure assistance from statutory authorities. We recognise that the challenges they may face are unique and wide-ranging and requires specialist knowledge of the issues that could arise.

We have developed community links with charities and organisations supporting veterans which has allowed us to gain a better insight into the needs of veterans and their family members. The most common issues to arise include:

  • Getting the right support to live independently
  • Obtaining services required to aid the transition back to civilian life
  • Supporting family members and carers

Our wealth of experience ensures that our clients and their family members are fully advised of their rights.

What we do

We can assist clients in bringing challenges to statutory services. Our first step will be to establish whether there is an appropriate statutory complaint mechanism or whether the issue can be resolved through mediation.

The majority of cases will resolve amicably but in certain situations the cases have to be determined in the High Court in a Judicial Review or in the Court of Protection where the individual concerned lacks capacity to make decisions.  

How can we help?

Call us now for a free discussion with one of our experts.


The service was personal, professional and considered. I was treated so kindly and in the end I knew that not only had I found the right organisation but also the right person.

Claims client

How can we help?

Please get in touch 0800 029 4802

Or we are happy to call you back at a time that suits you

Office open Mon - Fri: 08:30 - 18:00

We are here to help

For more information or to speak to one of our experts, please call 0800 029 4802