Skip to main content

Contact us to arrange your
FREE initial consultation

Call me back Email us

Written on 22nd December 2021 by My home carers have covid-19: what should I do?

We recently received the news that the family and the entire team of home carers of one of our long-standing deputyship clients have been infected with covid-19 and need to self-isolate. Whilst our client is currently ok and we are wishing a smooth and fast recovery to all involved, this highlights the devastating and highly disruptive impact that the infection can have, particularly as we are heading into the Christmas period.

So what should you do if you or a family member has a similar experience?

Alert the body or person responsible for arranging your care. Discussions will need to be had about any potential suspension of care and to determine the level of risk posed to you and/or to carers. If the person being cared for lacks mental capacity to make decisions about their care package, decisions will need to be made in their best interests.

Private care packages

If you have a case manager who manages your care package, contact them in the first instance. Your care plan may already include a contingency plan for this situation. If not, your case manager may be able to assist you to source alternative support.

If you do not have a case manager, if your case manager is unavailable, or if they have been unable to source alternative support, contact your local authority for advice. Your local authority’s website should contain the details for the duty team who can be contacted, including out of hours.

Social services or NHS-funded care packages

Contact the authority who is responsible for commissioning your care arrangements in the first instance. If your care package is funded by social services, this will be your local authority. If your care package is funded by the NHS, this is likely to be the Clinical Commissioning Group (“CCG”).

Your care plan may contain specific details for who you should contact regarding urgent matters. If it does not, you should find details of the duty team at the local authority or contact details for the CCG on the organisation’s website.


If you have concerns that a vulnerable person may be experiencing or may be at risk of experiencing abuse or neglect and, due to their care needs they are unable to protect themselves against abuse or neglect, you should contact their local authority’s adult safeguarding team.

In the event of a medical emergency, you should contact the emergency services on 999.

NHS 111 is available for advice or urgent medical help if you are not sure what to do. 

The government has published guidance to assist those providing home care during the pandemic, which is available here.

If you have any queries or questions about how to support someone to make their own decisions then please contact our Court of Protection team by email at