Boyes Turner’s expert mesothelioma solicitors were instructed on behalf of Charles after he was diagnosed with mesothelioma. We immediately met with Charles at his home to take his statement regarding his exposure to asbestos. Sadly Charles died only 10 days after his statement was taken.
Charles was 95 years old at the time of his death.
Charles explained to us that he used to be a gas fitter for Doncaster County Council before it became East Midlands Gas Board. He started working there in 1948 and spent five years training to become a gas fitter. He remained working for the gas board until he retired in 1984.
At the time of Charles’s employment he described significant exposure to asbestos dust. This happened when he undertook lagging of pipes using asbestos. He would pour the raw asbestos into a tub, add water and mix it into a paste. He then used his hands to apply this wet paste to the pipes and boilers. Charles described significant levels of asbestos dust in the atmosphere when undertaking this job. He had no mask or gloves or any protective equipment and even purchased his own boiler suit as none was provided to him.
Charles had felt unwell for some time but was only diagnosed with mesothelioma around six weeks before he died. His condition deteriorated swiftly. He lost a significant amount of weight and suffered with a cough and pain in his right side.
Charles’s wife Maureen lived in a care home. Charles received support from his daughter but had lived independently up until his diagnosis of mesothelioma.
Our expert mesothelioma claims solicitors pursued a claim on behalf of Charles’s estate for both the pain suffering and loss of amenity as a result of Charles’s mesothelioma and his past financial losses and also a claim on behalf of his wife Maureen who sadly died during the course of his claim.
The settlement of Charles’s claim included a settlement for his wife’s dependency upon him and this would be paid to her estate.
Whilst neither Charles nor his wife had the opportunity to receive the compensation payments from the defendant in respect of Charles’s mesothelioma, we are pleased that his family will be comforted knowing that Charles and Maureen were compensated for his mesothelioma.