Major trauma injuries solicitors

There are approximately 4000 people a year who suffer from a major trauma injury in the UK. A major trauma injury is a life threatening injury which is likely to be life changing and lead to a long term disability.

If you have suffered a major trauma, you will have been treated at a specialist major trauma centre or major trauma unit and received multi-disciplinary specialist trauma care and rehabilitation. Once you have been discharged you may receive some level of ongoing treatment and support in the community, but services can vary all over the country.

Boyes Turner strives to ensure, where possible, that there is continuity of rehabilitation, treatment and care throughout your personal injury claim to enable you to maximise your recovery and independence and rebuild your life.


£22,000 recovered for pedestrian road traffic accident victim

Our specialist road traffic accident claims lawyers have recently represented a client in respect...

Read more

Woman suffered head injury - delay in diagnosis and treatment

Subdural haematoma went undetected Beryl, aged 75, suffered a  closed head injury ...

Read more

Experienced legal team

We have an extensive history of acting for individuals who have suffered complex or multiple injuries, for example we represented clients injured during the Paddington Rail Crash and the Ufton Nervet Rail Crash. 

We commonly see major trauma injuries such as the following:

  • Head injuries, including skull fractures or haematoma’s/brain bleeds
  • Traumatic brain injuries
  • Spinal cord injuries
  • Spinal fractures
  • Traumatic amputations
  • Crush injuries
  • Burns
  • Stab wounds
  • Facial trauma
  • Multiple broken bones
  • Degloving injuries
  • Musculoskeletal injuries
  • Internal injuries such as collapsed lungs, pneumothorax or diaphragmatic rupture

Making a major trauma injury claim

Our team of personal injury solicitors have extensive experience of dealing with poly trauma cases and will make sure that you receive the appropriate treatment and rehabilitation to assist in your recovery from these injuries. We have a dedicated and empathetic team who understand how a major trauma can affect an individual as well as their family and work with all concerned to ensure the right support is in place. 

Why choose Boyes Turner?

At Boyes Turner we understand that there may be many aspects of your life that are affected by major trauma, such as your home, family, work, day to day activities and independence. We ensure our clients have access to a wide range of legal advice and support, as well as rehabilitation and treatment to help rebuild their lives.

We provide holistic and multidisciplinary legal support from all areas of our business relevant to an individual client’s needs and not just in relation to their compensation claim, such as education, employment, housing, mental capacity issues and wills and trusts. We work closely with these teams in the best interests of our clients and their loved ones.

We also work with rehabilitation providers all across the country to assist with the provision of care, continuing medical treatment and therapy, psychological support, and welfare benefits advice.

We can arrange to visit you in hospital or at home. We often see major trauma victims whilst they are still in a major trauma centre or unit, so that we can assist with the planning and smooth running of their hospital discharge to a suitable rehabilitation placement, home or temporary accommodation whilst their accommodation issues are resolved. We also like to ensure that when our clients are discharged from hospital, they have a suitable package of care, rehabilitation and support in place to reduce any worry or stress and help maximise their recovery. 

In major trauma cases, we appoint a case manager to work closely with clients to put in place and oversee the rehabilitation, care and support package tailored to meet their individual needs. 

When should I start my claim?

Claimants have 3 years from the date of an accident to make a claim, or in the case of a child, 3 years after their 18th birthday.  

The earlier you involve us the better, as we can help with treatment, care and support following discharge from hospital where needed.

How long will my claim take?

This depends on whether the defendant admits liability for your accident and the nature and severity of your injuries. Most cases involving major trauma take an average of 3-4 years to settle. In cases where there is an early admission of liability and a good recovery from a major trauma injury, it may be less and in cases involving children or where liability is denied and injuries are very complex, it can be longer.

Special damages

This is the award for your past and future losses and expenses. We will ask you to provide details and documentary evidence of this so that we can prepare a document called a “Schedule of Special Damages”. Special damages can include the following:

  • Travel expenses - You can claim for all your reasonable travel costs arising out of your accident for example, to/from medical appointments, hospital, GP etc. Keep a note of all your appointments and how you got there. If you drive record your return mileage and any parking expenses. If you go by public transport keep your receipts or a record of dates and cost.

  • Medical treatment/Prescription charges - Any prescription charges or over the counter medication purchased will be reimbursed - keep receipts where possible. You can recover the cost of private medical treatment where appropriate including therapy, rehabilitation and operative procedures. If you make a claim on your private healthcare insurance, notify your insurer of your claim as we will make a claim for their outlay as part of your personal injury claim.

  • Damaged personal items - You can recover the cost of lost or damaged personal items in your accident e.g. mobile phone, damaged bicycle or vehicle, vehicle contents, clothing. Where possible, provide receipts or photographs and details of where, when and how much you purchased the items for, or obtain proof of replacement cost.

  • Loss of earnings - If you are unable to return to any form of work, we will make a claim for your loss of earnings from the date of the accident until normal retirement age. If you cannot return to full time or pre accident work we will ensure you receive help to find alternative work through retraining where necessary (vocational or educational rehabilitation) and recover any losses arising from this.

  • Care and assistance - If you require assistance with your care needs following an accident, either from family or friends (“gratuitous care”) or professionally, we can make a claim the time spent by family and friends or for the cost of professional care. Where family or friends have provided care and household assistance, taken you to appointments or provided emotional support, keep a diary of the date, time and nature of this assistance so that we can make a claim for care and assistance on your behalf.

  • Loss of services (gardening, decorating, DIY) - In many cases our clients can no longer engage in gardening, decorating or DIY due to their major trauma injuries and may rely on family and friends or have to pay someone professional to provide these services, the cost of which we can include in your claim.

  • Housing - If your home is no longer suitable to your needs, it may be adapted where possible or you may need to look for alternative accommodation. We will instruct a housing expert to advise on this where appropriate.

  • Transport - Your ability to drive may be affected by your physical or psychological injuries either permanently or temporarily after your accident. In most cases, we can arrange a driving assessment as part of your claim, to see whether there is a suitable vehicle (which may need adaptation) to allow you to drive independently. Some of our clients also benefit from driving confidence courses to help them return to driving. Where major trauma results in the need for a wheelchair and prevents you from returning to driving, or where you have never driven, but require a vehicle large enough to transport your wheelchair, we will assist you in identifying a suitable vehicle. All reasonable expense related to the above can be claimed on your behalf.

  • Aids and equipment - You may need mobility aids such as orthotics, prosthetics or a wheelchair, assistive technology to help you lead an independent life, or aids/gadgets to allow you to do certain activities independently. We will obtain early OT and expert opinion on aids and equipment in order to obtain items as soon as possible and ensure your future compensation covers the cost of replacement and insurance.

Thank you again for everything, I am so happy that I can finally look towards the future and start drawing a line under the accident and putting it in the past where it belongs...I don't think I've felt this happy in ages, it's like a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders just knowing that it's all done.

Miss M, London 

Get in touch

Please get in touch 0800 124 4845

Or we are happy to call you back at a time that suits you

Office open Mon - Fri: 08:30 - 18:00