Leading personal injury and medical negligence solicitors
Gardener accident claim
Gardeners, groundsmen and tree surgeons can work in many beautiful environments, but they also face many hazards, including:
- Dangerous machinery
Power tools such as strimmers, mowers, hedge cutters, all have sharp blades and dangerous moving parts which can cause serious injuries including amputations.
- Vibrating machinery
Powerful tools can vibrate to levels which can cause injury such as vibration white finger or hand arm vibration syndrome.
- Noisy machinery
Exposure to dangerous levels of loud noise over a prolonged period can cause hearing difficulties such as noise induced deafness and tinnitus.
- Dangerous tools
Even the non power tools commonly used in the garden can be dangerous if used carelessly.
- Heavy machinery
Many power tools are heavy to wield over long periods and can cause strains and injuries to arms and shoulders.
- Falls from height
The use of ladders and step ladders, and obviously the risk to tree surgeons, can lead to nasty injuries.
- Lifting and carrying leading to back injury
A lot of equipment, plants and planters are heavy and require moving which can lead to back strains and injuries.
- Slips and trips
The chemicals used in pesticides, weed killers and cleaning products can all be hazardous to health.
An employer’s duty of care
Your employers should:
- Provide full training in safe manual handling techniques.
- Avoid the use or exposure to chemical wherever possible in accordance with the COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations) wherever possible.
- Provide PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as gloves, steel to capped boots, hard hats, face masks.
- Train all employees in the safe use of power tools and other heavy machinery.
- Provide hearing protection when necessary.
If you have been working as a gardener, a groundsman or a tree surgeon and you have had an accident at work which was someone else’s fault then you may be entitled to bring a personal injury claim.
Thank you again for everything, I am so happy that I can finally look towards the future and start drawing a line under the accident and putting it in the past where it belongs...I don't think I've felt this happy in ages, it's like a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders just knowing that it's all done.
Miss M, London