Leading personal injury and medical negligence solicitors
Fitter and welder who contracted mesothelioma receives compensation within 2 months of starting his legal claim
Boyes Turner specialist industrial disease team were instructed by Mr G in August 2016 following his suffering of mesothelioma as a consequence of exposure to asbestos. Mesothelioma is a fatal disease suffered after the inhalation of asbestos fibres.
Mr G was a pipe fitter and welder working for H C Goodman Limited (“the defendant”) who were based in Caversham, Reading.
Mr G worked on a number of sites for the defendant and was exposed to asbestos negligently during this time.
In particular Mr G recalls:
- Working at a Royal Naval base in Yeovilton, Somerset where asbestos spray lagging was mixed up on site and then sprayed on to the ceiling and support structure of various buildings whilst he was still in the building.
- Removing asbestos heat deflector back boards from behind radiators in the Central Middlesex Hospital in Acton London. Mr G also worked in service voids in this hospital hacking away old asbestos lagging from pipes so the pipes could be replaced.
- Removing asbestos lagging whilst working at the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment (AWRE) in Aldermaston.
- Working in voids where asbestos pipes were present at the Houses of Parliament.
- Being on site at the Royal Berkshire Hospital where asbestos ceiling tiles were being cut and fitted and where support columns for the building were being enclosed with asbestos sheets which was cut to shape in his immediate vicinity.
All of the above exposed Mr G to copious amounts of injurious asbestos dust.
Boyes Turners investigation of the claim
Boyes Turner specialist industrial disease solicitors attended Mr G at his home address and took a detailed statement from him regarding his asbestos exposure history.
Boyes Turner also assisted Mr G in applying for government benefits to which he was entitled, namely Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit and a lump sum payment under the Pneumoconiosis (etc) (Workers Compensation) Act 1979 and at the same time began to investigate his potential legal claim.
The defendant to Mr G’s claim was no longer trading but Boyes Turner were able to quickly trace the companies previous employers liability insurer.
Mr G’s medical records were also obtained and thereafter an expert report was compiled confirming that Mr G’s previous asbestos exposure was the cause of his mesothelioma.
Thereafter a detailed letter of claim was sent to the insurer of H C Goodman Limited.
Settlement of Mr G’s claim
In October 2016, just 2 months after the letter of claim was sent the defendant conceded liability for Mr G’s mesothelioma and agreed to compensate him for his injuries. A £50,000 payment on account of damages was secured for Mr G to assist him with any immediate medical or care needs he had.
In February of 2017 a final settlement figure was finally agreed with H C Goodman on Mr G’s behalf in the sum of £156,314. The defendant also agreed to pay Mr G’s legal costs.
Mr G’s comments
Mr G was delighted with the fact that Boyes Turner had managed to locate his previous employer’s insurer and obtain an admission of liability within just 2 months.
Mr G was also thankful to Boyes Turner for reaching a final settlement of his claim within his lifetime as it gave him some closure.
Boyes Turner’s specialist asbestos disease lawyers
Boyes Turner are one of the largest legal services providers in the Thames Valley and operate one of the largest specialist industrial disease teams in the country.
Boyes Turner pride themselves on being able to take on the cases that other lawyers deem to have a lack of prospects and in being able to succeed where others have failed. The success in cases like Mr G’s conforms with Boyes Turners ethos of obtaining justice for mesothelioma victims and ensuring asbestos victims and their families are properly compensated.
The service was personal, professional and considered. I was treated so kindly and in the end I knew that not only had I found the right organisation but also the right person.
Boyes Turner client