Death after medical staff failed to treat infection

A woman died after hospital staff failed to treat an infection causing blood poisoning after she had surgery to remove her bowel cancer.

The woman who had been suffering with stomach pain, vomiting and nausea was admitted to hospital where she was sadly diagnosed with bowel cancer.

She underwent a successful operation to remove the cancer but her condition subsequently deteriorated. The doctors suspected that she had a bowel leak and requested a CT scan. The scan was inconclusive and surgery was required to detect the problem.

No action was taken and the lady was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit where she died from sepsis, which was caused by an infection from her bowel.

The family sought legal advice and were able to secure an out of court settlement. The hospital trust admitted that further surgery would have saved the lady’s life.

Boyes Turner’s medical negligence lawyer Sita Vaghela comments:

“Any delay in diagnosing and repairing an injury such as this can result in devastating and avoidable consequences, as happened here. In other cases where the outcome may not be as severe, the injury may still have caused avoidable damage to other organs which would then require further treatment and prolonged recovery time.”

The service was personal, professional and considered. I was treated so kindly and in the end I knew that not only had I found the right organisation but also the right person.

Boyes Turner client

Get in touch

Please get in touch 0800 124 4845

Or we are happy to call you back at a time that suits you

Office open Mon - Fri: 08:30 - 18:00