Contact us to arrange your
FREE initial consultation

Email us Call me back

Stephen* approached Boyes Turner in September 2013 to represent him in a medical negligence claim against a hospital who failed to diagnose ruptured Achilles tendon.

Stephen fell over in May 2012 experiencing severe pain in his left ankle. He was taken by ambulance to the accident and emergency department (A&E) at hospital. X-ray ruled out a bone injury. The hospital failed to complete a proper examination of his left ankle and failed to recognise that Stephen had ruptured his Achilles tendon. Stephen was discharged with crutches.

Fifteen days later Stephen attended his GP with continuing symptoms of bruising, swelling, pain and inability to put weight through his left leg. The GP diagnosed a soft tissue injury.

Stephen attended his GP again 12 days later as symptoms had not improved. The GP recommended chiropractic treatment, however Stephen arranged to see a private physiotherapist the same day. The physiotherapist diagnosed a ruptured Achilles tendon and referred him to an orthopaedic surgeon straightaway.

The orthopaedic surgeon confirmed that Stephen had ruptured his Achilles tendon and repair surgery was performed four days later.

Stephen still suffers with swelling, stiffness, discomfort and weakness of the lower leg and ankle, although some of his ongoing problems are due to difficulties with rehabilitation due to a pre-existing back condition.

Stephen contacted Boyes Turner in September 2013. As part of the medical negligence investigation, we obtained supportive medical opinions from experts in Orthopaedics and A&E medicine. The experts confirmed that the care Stephen received in A&E was substandard and if he had been examined appropriately, the rupture would have been diagnosed, he would have been provided conservative treatment and surgery would have been avoided.

The hospital denied that there was an Achilles tendon rupture when he attended A&E.

Despite the hospital denying there was a medical negligence claim to pursue; negotiations secured a settlement of £20,000 for Stephen.