Skip to main content

Contact us to arrange your
FREE initial consultation

Call me back Email us

What is a Disabled Facilities Grant?

A Disabled Facilities Grant, also known as a DFG, is a grant available to disabled people from your local council if you need to make essential changes to your home due to your disability.

The council need to be satisfied that the work is necessary and appropriate to meet a disabled person’s needs and that it is reasonable and can be done.

What changes might a Disabled Facilities Grant cover?

This could include things like improving personal hygiene facilities for example installing a walk in shower or converting a downstairs room into an accessible toilet or improving access to your home for example widening doorways or installing ramps.

A DFG may also cover certain types of equipment for example hoists.

Who is eligible?

You or someone living in the property must be disabled. You can own the property or be a tenant but you must intend to live in the property during the grant period – this is 5 years. From 5 years some repayment may be required on a sliding scale.

If you are a tenant, you can apply for a DFG or your landlord can apply on your behalf.

Will my income affect my eligibility?

A DFG is means tested – this means the council will look at your financial circumstances including your income and savings. For families with a disabled child under the age of 18, the DFG is not means tested.

Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of works.

A DFG will not affect any benefits you get.

How much could I get?

This will depend on where you live:

  • England – up to £30,000
  • Wales – up to £36,000
  • Northern Ireland – up to £25,000

DFG’s are not available in Scotland.

How to I apply?

You should contact your local council to apply for a DFG. The council will usually arrange an assessment with an occupational therapist to see what changes are needed.

Other important things to know

Payments may be made in instalments or paid in full once works have finished – you will agree this with the council. The council will need to be satisfied that works have been completed to their satisfaction and in accordance with the grant approval.

It can take some time to get a decision from the council once you have applied for a DFG.

You should not start works on your property until your grant has been approved by the council.

Don’t forget you may also need to apply for planning permission or building regulations approval – this must be applied for separately.

If you receive a DFG and sell your house within a certain period of time of the works finishing, this time period may vary depending on the local authority, then you may need to pay some of the money back.

How can we help?

If you have any queries or questions about DFG’s or financial support available to people living with a disability then please contact our specialist Court of Protection team by email on